The world's leading swimwear brand, Speedo is passionate about life in and around the water. The brand's heritage of innovation derives from its leadership in competitive swimming, where more Olympic Gold Medals have been won in Speedo than any other brand.
Building on its authentic base and using the pioneering technology created for the planet's top swimmers, Speedo brings performance, comfort and style to all who enter the water, whether racing for a record finish, swimming laps for better health or making memories at the beach.
The brand's Performance Collection includes the competition and training suits that remain the number one choice of the world's fastest swimmers - including Natalie Coughlin, Nathan Adrian and more; Speedo's Fitness and Active Recreation Collections feature men's and women's swimwear, men's water shorts, and kids swimwear in fashion-forward styles that are designed to perform. And with Speedo's expanded range of Footwear, Packs, Aquatic Fitness and Swim Training Equipment, the brand's Accessories Collection is unmatched in performance, fit and feel.
No matter why you dive in - training, fitness or fun - those moments in the water are always better with Speedo.
Born on Bondi Beach near Sydney, Australia in 1928, Speedo is the world's top-selling swimwear brand. The brand's history of innovation began that year, as Speedo introduced the Racerback suit - the world's first non-wool suit allowing greater freedom of motion. Soon after, Swedish swimmer Arne Borg set a world record in Speedo swimwear, establishing the brand in the hearts and minds of swimmers and the general public.
Since developing the first racerback in the 1920's, Speedo has been behind many of the major innovations in swimwear. In the 1950's the brand created its first watershort and launched it's first-ever suit made of Nylon. In the 1970's, Speedo became the first company to produce swimwear made of Nylon / Elastane. Speedo introduced Endurance, the world's first chlorine resistant fabric, in 1994.
In 2000, Speedo launched the revolutionary Fastskin® swimsuit inspired by shark's skin. In 2008, Speedo launched the LZR Racer®, in which the world's best swimmers - led by Michael Phelps - rewrote the record books. The Speedo Fastskin3 Racing System, launched in 2011, marked the first time that performance swimwear and swim accessories were designed to work together. Today, Speedo's new LZR Racer Elite 2 line of suits is being worn by swimming's biggest stars.
Speedo's rich Olympic history dates back to 1932 when Claire Dennis of Australia won gold in Speedo at the Los Angeles Olympic Games. In 1956 at the Melbourne Olympic Games, Speedo sponsored the entire Australian swim team, transforming Speedo into a world famous brand. In Mexico at the 1968 Games, 27 of 29 gold medalists wore Speedo. At the 1972 Munich Olympics, 21 out of 22 world records were set by athletes wearing Speedo. In Barcelona in 1992, 53% of all swimming medals at the Games were won by athletes wearing Speedo; that number was surpassed in 1996 as 77% of all swimming medals were won by swimmers in Speedo at the Atlanta Olympics and then again in Sydney in 2000 where 83% of a swimming medals were won in Speedo.
In 2004, Michael Phelps made history by becoming the first ever swimmer to win eight medals at the Olympics, including six gold and two bronze, all while wearing Speedo. In 2008, Phelps, in the greatest swimming performance of all-time, made history again as he won an unprecedented eight gold medals in Beijing; at those same Games, athletes wearing Speedo won 92% of all the swimming medals. At the London Olympics of 2012, Phelps put the new technology to good use and became the most decorated Olympian of all time, winning six medals in London for a total of 22 Olympic medals, all of which were won wearing Speedo.
In 1932, Australian Claire Dennis became the first swimmer to earn an Olympic Gold Medal in a Speedo suit. Today, more than 85 years later, more Olympic Gold Medals have been won in Speedo than any other brand.
Supporting the sport of swimming and its athletes, coaches and teams has always been paramount to Speedo. The brand was the first to sign a swimmer to an endorsement contract - Olympic gold medalist Donna de Varona, in the 1960's. Since then, the top names in swimming have competed in Speedo, including John Naber, Janet Evans, Summer Sanders, Lenny Krayzelburg, Jenny Thompson, Michael Phelps, and many more.
Today, the top swimmers in the U.S. - and the world - are a part of Team Speedo, including Natalie Coughlin, Nathan Adrian, Conor Dwyer, Cullen Jones, Jessica Hardy, Tyler Clary.
Speedo's commitment to grassroots swimming is furthered by the brand's long-term partnership with USA Swimming, the sport's national federation, which began in 1985 and was recently extended through 2020.
Speedo is also committed to the ever-growing swim fitness community and the 21 million+ who dive into the water for exercise, continuing to expand its product offerings and bring the brand's cutting-edge technology to the general consumer, whether they choose to race, swim for fitness, or just have fun.
Whether between the eight lanes of the pool or jumping off a lakeside dock, Speedo's mission is to inspire people to swim - and to bring them the swimsuits and gear that make every moment in the water better.
Speedo uses the most advanced materials and designs to allow everyone - from Olympic Gold Medalists, to fitness swimmers, beachgoers and children learning to swim - to reach their goals with speed.
V. Product Features + Innovation
Everything Speedo creates is an expression of form dictated by function. Every detail, every line, every color has a purpose. Among the most recent developments are:
- The LZR Racer® Elite line of speedsuits, including the LZR Racer Elite 2 suit featuring Speedo's lightweight and powerful LZR Pulse+ fabric for increased durability and water repellency; Hydro Form Compression System to reduce muscle oscillation, increase efficiency and help create a drag-reducing streamlined form; unique 3D three-piece pattern and lightweight bonded seams; and silicone leg grippers for a snug, confident fit
- New fabric technologies including Endurance+ fabric, designed to last 20 times longer than conventional swimwear fabric and resist sagging, bagging, fading and snagging; Power Plus fabric, which is 50% lighter than traditional swim fabrics helping performance swimwear maintain its edge in the water, resisting pilling, fitting perfectly, and retaining its shape after use; and S UV Block the Burn fabric, featuring a UPF rating 50+ so you can enjoy your time in the sun
- Compression and support technologies in Speedo's Fitness Swimwear Collection to help enhance every workout in the pool
- New Elastomeric goggle seal technology with grooves that expand to the contours of your face, offering a comfortable seal that prevents pressure build-up and minimizes goggle ring marks, a.k.a. "raccoon eyes"
- The Dragster, a leading technical swim training parachute that powers up your overall workout intensity with a customizable spoiler system that can increase drag up to 80%
- The innovative Hydralign training system that helps you maintain the correct body alignment, featuring the Hydralign Center Snorkel, Racer Goggles, LO2 Snorkel Top and training swimsuits, all of which pair together to promote an accurate stroke technique and improved tempo during training
- Speedo's FST, a cutting-edge new all-terrain shoe specially engineered for triathlon, trail running, and any activity in and around the water, featuring OrthoLite insoles, non-marking Vibram® outsoles, 100% seamless construction, FluidFlow™ technology to provide drainage, and more
- The Exsqueeze Me casual sandal collection featuring unique dual density injection molded EVA construction, strong water resistance, and fun, fashionable styles
- Speedo's most exclusive new pack designed specifically for triathlon, the TriClops, with innovative features to manage all the tools a triathlete needs to perform and keeps gear - for the swim, the bike and the run - easily and efficiently accessible, redefining the importance of training and race day organization
Speedo's future innovation is developed in the Aqualab, the brand's top secret development facility. Aided by the world's champion athletes and coaches, Speedo's multi-national team of researchers conducts revolutionary projects that aim to solve the challenges of the body in motion.
Throughout its history, Speedo has pioneered almost every major technological advancement in the sport of swimming - and the accolades followed.
The Fastskin family of elite speedsuits was recognized by the Smithsonian Institute for advanced technology. The experts in the Speedo Aqualab worked with NASA to develop the Speedo LZR Racer, which debuted in 2008. The Speedo LZR Racer was named as one of the best inventions of the year in 2008 by TIME Magazine and one of the most innovative products of the year in 208 by Popular Science Magazine. The LZR Racer also took home an Edison Award in 2008 for its design and innovation.
In 2014, Speedo's cutting-edge TriClops triathlon pack, was awarded the coveted Red Dot Product Design Award; the brand's new Elastomeric Goggle Collection, featuring a revolutionary new goggle seal technology designed to reduce pressure on the face, took home the Platinum A' Design Award for excellence in Sports, Entertainment and Recreation Equipment Design.
Speedo is owned by Speedo Holdings B.V.; in North America and the Caribbean, Speedo is licensed exclusively to Warnaco Swimwear Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of PVH Corp.
Speedo is the most distributed swimwear brand in the world, with a presence in more than 170 countries, which allows it to serve different customer needs in different selling environments. In North America, Speedo is sold in over 11,000 stores encompassing all distribution channels, as well as an e-commerce site, www.SpeedoUSA.com.